Tuesday, May 31, 2016

My / Our Memorial Day

A four day weekend for me, I did my best to not waste it.  Only 50 miles or so ridden and those not until Monday morning.  Projects and chores done, meals and coffee with friends all made the time off rich and good.


Visiting dad's flag among the so many others up in Oakwood made it even better.  I parked here and walked a few of the loops where other family and friends have been laid to rest.  Dad was lucky enough to come home and the most I ever remember of his South Pacific stories were the fun parts with his buddies and the typhoon he didn't think he'd survive.  I heard enough more about some of his friends that never made it back home.

An Asian bike in front of an American Sailor's headstone.  It took awhile but dad came to know and understand things that had to change and that during his rich and full life, did.


The lawn was mowed, some oil changed and in the late evening, a picnic on the bluff.  Throughout the year and not always just in season, we take advantage of our next door neighbor, Frontenac State Park by going Sunday (in this case, Monday) evening when, the crowds gone, the park gets very quiet for the week.  I started the campfire at 7 and we enjoyed our last s'mores just before 10pm.


Hanna is home from Cleveland for the week and it was paramount that at least one evening was spent overlooking the Mississippi and our State to the east.


14 comments:

  1. Your Memorial Day was much like mine. Drove out to Greenwood Cemetery to see the VFW/Legion program and pay respects at the family plot. Took a few pics, but mine had the truck behind the family headstone.. Cut the grass at the cabin... Cooked out in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erik, there were services going on in cemeteries, a parade in River Falls....neighbors line the main street through Old Frontenac with little flags along the way. There were many appreciating the day, glad you did as well.

      Delete
  2. Nature is best enjoyed with minimal amount of friends, but sometimes, when alone. That quiet park near you sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, completely agree that's the best way. It's never very crowded, but it gets wonderfully quiet at the end of the weekend.....and we know.

      Delete
  3. We pay our respects to our veterans on September 11th.

    It always impressed me that on US Memorial Day, the Stars and Stripes were planted on the tombs of each of the US service personel buried in the military cemetery in Pointe Claire Quebec where my grandfather is buried. Many of them served with Canada's armed forces in the early parts of the world wars before the US joined in.

    It amazes me that those men and women are never forgotten on Memorial day.

    I'm not sure what organization plants the flags.

    It's very impressive and heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day is definitely an ongoing reminder of the high price paid by many. I believe that it's hard for those of us that weren't there to really appreciate the sacrifices made.

      Delete
  4. .. respect.....memories ... then time with family.... repeated a million fold across the land... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right Mike, thank you for your contribution.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely view. Despite the lack of mileage I'd say the time was well spent with other important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, that bluff and the view from there offer treasure for many. I'm quite sure that even given the chance, I'd have changed nothing about last weekend.

      Delete
  6. That sounded to me like a perfect way to spend your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Summed up perfectly. Hope you enjoyed yours?

      Delete
  7. A lovely way to spend the weekend. I agree with Sonja, the other stuff besides riding is all very important too. Life is all about balance. Well, I guess motorcycles are too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, balance is one of my favorite words because of what it defines. A certain equilibrium is a worthy quest I think.

      Sounds like we've got a wet, stormy weekend ahead for our next rally. Whatever rainy weather we receive, there will be plenty of 'other' to balance it out I'm sure.

      Delete