Sunday, November 10, 2013

That Time Of Year Again

Snow Fence Day

I wanted to put them up yesterday, but the winds were far too strong.  This morning, once the deer hunters were for the most part out of the valley and inside having coffee somewhere, the winds were calm, or so I thought.  In my defense, early on I believe there was no wind but before I was able to finish only 1 of 2 today, the wisps of breeze were definitely present.  I believe I'd totally underestimate a good sailboating day.

Unlike some years, the ground hasn't frozen yet and this summer's dry conditions were softened with some wonderful autumn rains.  Beating the T-Posts into the ground is still a chore though.  I was able to smile about it today though.  Thoughts of the sometimes maligned Springfield Whacking Day came to mind, making the chore an easier one and brought me chuckle or two.  Today was as close as I'll get to participating in their special event.

Starting with a clean palette.....


Picking the location and the critical alignment.....


Underway....


This is what I hope those wandering, blowing snowflakes see as they float down the cornfield rows.....a big, evil, wicked, mean and nasty orange wall that will hopefully make them drop dead in their tracks.  These standing cornstalks will stop a lot of snow that a cut-clean soybean field will not.


It wasn't my best 'fence put up but I've done much worse.  I only did this one today, other projects are calling and the second fence is less critical than this one to have in place.  I should still have time before frost sets in.

10 comments:

  1. Looks good. I was busy today too. I shoveled rock off the driveway and moved it by the wheelbarrow load to the front of the house. It was a good day for outdoor projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erik, it was a really nice day. I should have been out riding, but I acted more like an adult today and behaved slightly more responsibly. I hustled through the fence project early and just a bit ago, got home from an afternoon with mom. It started bright and clear, overcast at dusk and a sunset under the cloud cover that would have been Blue Ribbon.

      Delete
  2. Are those 5' posts? When I used those for my fence I had to stand on a ladder for each one. But it was spring and not so bad. I do not want to do much more outdoor work from now until next spring. That includes snow removal. Bet I don't get my wish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit me this morning.....you have to stand on a ladder? You must not use an official Post Pounder, rather a big hammer?
      http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=446&cat_id=47

      Delete
    2. If the posts are 5' and I'M 5', then yes. I had to be taller to pound them in! And no, I didn't use one of those very nice post pounders, even though I did contemplate them in Menards. I used a little sledge.

      Delete
  3. We've got maybe a hundred fence posts here that have been salvaged from former fence lines, most posts are 6' or even some 6 1/2' that I had to reach up for. I was too lazy to go back and replace one of them I had in the truck today.....must have been a 5' model and pretty short. I have to reach up to start some of them, most were my height.

    Between my furniture moving yesterday, swinging up into the too high truck numerous times and pounding only 7 posts, I'm feeling slightly older this evening.

    I'm with you on more outdoor work. Outdoors is one thing, I'm much more selective about the work part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very responsible of you. I'm glad that we don't get enough wind to need snow fences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad for you too Richard. How the wind can even find loose flakes sometimes baffles me. What would seem like a crust on top isn't always and those loose flakes have a tendency to migrate.

      Delete
  5. Much easier to do before the ground freezes.

    I like the close up view of the corn stalks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if the very top surface freezes, it takes a while and quite a few low temps for the first few inches of soil. Between the thin profile of the posts and the pounding, often the posts can be persuaded to go in if I don't wait too long.

      There is a reason that our water lines are 6' deep.

      Thanks for the stalk view comment. They are actually quite 'proud' in the field, making walking across rows a challenge. There will be snow held back by all of the natural obstuctions.

      Delete