Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Prepping for the Hiawatha Rally

Actually, there's not really much to the preparation.  After the GR3 Rally a week and a half ago, all things wet were dried, loosely folded and in all of 10 minutes were stuffed into their respective sacks.  A change of clean clothes, with a few other minor changes based on the season and predicted weather are just about the extent of my packing for each trip once the first trip of the season happens.

Hiawatha BMW Rally

The packing of my bikes is the biggest variable since they each use slightly different saddle bags, tank bags, duffelbags, etc.  How I power one of two GPS's has an impact as well.  This trip I'll be taking the yellow Helix, which makes for easy packing due to the vast space for luggage.

On another subject, I offered to bring in rhubarb for any of my workmates that might like some today.  This evening I harvested maybe 30 pounds of the fibrous plant and barely made a dent in our lush patch of 'elephant leaves'.

There's a fighting chance some of that goodness will be shared with me soon.


12 comments:

  1. We've been thinking of planting some rhubarb. I love me some strawberry rhubarb pie or jam or topped on vanilla ice cream. Sigh.

    Sounds like you have the packing down already this year. Should be easy riding on the Helix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, I certainly wish we could share some of ours with you; we are swimming in big leaves. Good in all forms, my continual favorite is strawberry rhubarb pie.......I'd follow most anyone anywhere for a piece.

      Helix is anxious to go after being neglected last year after it's arch nemesis the Morphous arrived.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your Helix riding report. My hubby almost just bought one, alas it was gone when we called... It is a weird vehicle. It's so ugly, that it's pretty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I'd have laughed (and called anyone foolish) for even suggesting a connection between me and a Helix. I'll never call it beautiful though it rides that way and is very satisfying to explore on.

      Delete
  3. Have fun on your rally! Gotta love scooter storage space, that is definitely what I miss most on my bike. Rhubarb yum - I think I need to plant some, I love it stewed with apples. It seems to be all about food this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar, sounds like it might be a wet weekend but we'll be fine regardless.

      Don't forget....food makes us go!! :)

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your report. The only motorcycle rallies I ever attended have been the BMWMOA ones. Lot of vendors, lot of people, and usually too hot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard,
    Those are fun; I've attended a few National, large scale gatherings, the only MOA version I did was West Bend, WI. We started for Gillette but veered off in another direction instead. These local rallies are much smaller, slower and no less fun.

    Check your Blog Email please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - 30 lbs (plus) of rhubarb ... and I was proud of my two pound take! Helix aside, that's some rhubarb patch. Are you freezing some to wait for the strawberries (and the pie makers?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. VStar Lady,
    Our rhubarb is Healthy!! The soil is rich, has been enhanced by long since gone livestock and produces more than we can use. Some of it gets frozen every year, though not enough.

    This weekend is typically the Rhubarb Festival in the nearby town next to the BMW Rally. I've got special plans for Saturday so i'm not sure if I'll make the Festival or not.

    We did it last year though!
    http://coopdwaycorner.blogspot.com/2012/06/rhubarb-and-bmws.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Helix, the "fugliest" scooter on the market next to the Yamaha Morphous!

    However, I know that they provide legendary comfort on a ride, or so the fans rave!

    It could be on my "short list" one day...

    Enjoy! Wish I could come along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Deb, you'll not get any arguments from me about both machines being fugly.....the Italians would know better than to be anywhere near these two mongrels.

    Yes, you would find them comfy! I'll share what I can next week.

    ReplyDelete