Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Glacier National Park 1976

With a touring bike, time off (always not quite enough) and the desire to 'head west', trip planning with some friends had commenced.  Friend Brad and I were making plans to visit Glacier National Park in August, he on his Kawasaki 900 four and me on the Honda 750 four.  For a trial run, we decided to make a Canadian triangle trip over the July 4 weekend, our country's Bicentennial.  Another friend, his name just happened to be Cooper (not related) decided to join us for a good trip shakedown.

We met early Saturday morning and rode up along Minnesota's North Shore, went through the border crossing and rode a short distance from there to Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park for our first night.  Sunday morning we headed west and spent that night at Sioux Narrows Park near Kenora, Ontario.  On our nation's birthday, we were in another country, not far away, but away.  Brad, Cooper and Coopdway went for a walk that evening through the campground's loops.  I saw a couple of motorcycles in one of the sites and heard voices that sounded very familiar.

I walked up and asked the two brothers if they remembered me and they did.  In summers past, I'd met them in Bayfield, Wisconsin where we shared lunch at Gruenke's.  Later that same summer I was out for a weekend in Michigan's U.P. at Porcupine Mountain State Park and the two guys in the white Firebird were once again the brothers.  Brad and Coop were beside themselves, understanding that I would know two guys at a remote Canadian campground.

The long weekend went well and if Brad or I learned anything new about motorcycle travel, I can't remember what it was.  Mid-August arrived and the two of us headed west, up I-94, across North Dakota and into eastern Montana.


Fort Peck Dam......


Site of Lewis and Clark's Camp Disappointment......


Mt. Wilber and Mt. Swiftcurrent, Glacier National Park......


It was raining in the  Swiftcurrent Campground.....


Brad in fine form, drinking from the stream crossing our trail to Grinnell Glacier.  Last time I heard, he's still living and able to tell about it.......


Coopdway at Grinnell Glacier.....


Coopdway in quiet contemplation, wearing red for the odd Grizzly suffering from poor eyesight.....


The two of us did lots of hiking, not much riding while we were in the park.  I had been in the park a few years before with my parents, we had done some stream fishing and were very successful at it.  Mentioning it to Brad, we hiked up above the campground a short distance and had the same kind of luck.  I wish I had photos of the trout we caught and ate but alas......

That evening we were in camp and heard a BMW riding through the loops.  The rider went past us, then turned around.  Stopping, he asked if we minded sharing our campsite with him.  Paul was over here, with his own bike (a big AUS license plate), from Australia.  We spent the evening talking around the campfire though I don't remember a thing about what we learned, where he'd been, where he was headed to, etc.  All I remember is that he was spending time riding the USA.  I wonder what he's doing now?


The end of the trail to Iceberg Lake......


The next day we packed up and left Glacier and then the USA, heading north into Alberta's Banff and Jasper National Park.  Along the Jasper Highway, our destination a campground north of Jasper Nat. Park.


A very busy Canadian National Railway station in Jasper National Park......



We zipped home, making the return a pretty quick one.  I'd need Brad's help to remember exactly where and how we came back, but I do remember coming across the Trans Canada Highway and then down through North Portal, North Dakota.  As always, nice to go and nice to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment